Xinxim de galinha
Afro-Brazilian Chicken dish
This dish originated in western Africa and came to Brazil together with the African slaves. In Bahia, which was home to a lot of big plantations, xinxim de galinha is still very popular.
The modern dish is a real afro-brazilian one, a mix of both Brazilian and African tastes. The shrimps are optional, but a great addition.
You can remove the bones of the chicken after cooking it if you prefer.
- chop the garlic and mix it with the lemon juice, peppercorn and salt.
- Cut the chicken at the joints and breast. If you dont know how to do this, ask your butcher to do it for you.
- Marinate the chicken in the lemon juice mixture for at least half an hour
- Put the peanuts, cashews, ginger, coriander and onions in a blender and blend it with 1/4 cup of water
- Bake the chicken in a pan for 20 minutes in the dende oil, until golden brown
- Add the spice mixture and the shrimps
- Put the lit on the pan and cook untill the chicken is soft
- Add the coconutmilk and half a bit of water
- Let the sauce thicken a bit
- Serve with white rice and faroffa